A GLOBAL HUB
ON CHILDREN AND HIV
Our mission is to improve the lives of orphans and vulnerable
children through connecting the global community and providing
the most up-to-date information on HIV and other adversities.
Megan Collins for CRS
AREAS OF FOCUS
- CAPACITY BUILDING & SYSTEM STRENGTHENINGSystem strengthening includes building capacity of families, communities, civil society organizations and governments to provide social services, case management and referrals.
- CHILD PROTECTIONChild protection prevents and responds to abuse, exploitation and neglect, and family separation to ensure that children are cared for in a loving and supportive environment.
- ECONOMIC STRENGTHENINGEconomic strengthening interventions protect and strengthen the economic situation of households and empowers families to provide for the essential needs of their children.
- EDUCATIONEducation ensures children have access to a continuum of early childhood development opportunities, quality schools and life skills training to secure their future.
- HEALTH & NUTRITIONHealth and nutrition interventions for vulnerable children should provide a continuum of care that prevents and treats illness and promotes wellbeing for children and their families.
- PROGRAMMINGProgramming for vulnerable children includes general guidance on implementation, monitoring and evaluation and assuring quality services.
- PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORTPsychosocial support provides children and families with resources that build internal resilience for emotional, social, mental and spiritual wellbeing.
- SPECIAL POPULATIONSSpecial populations of children require additional support with individualized approaches for protection and inclusion.
The USAID Vision for Action on ending child marriage and meeting the needs of married children outlines a plan for ensuring the rights of children to meet their full potential. The document includes a statement of the problem and explains the strategic underpinnings of USAID’s commitment to this issue–such as the link with the agency… View ArticleRead more »
The Coordinating Comprehensive Care for Children (4Children) project in Nigeria conducted a review to examine the gaps in investment for care and treatment for children living with HIV. Findings revealed that foreign funding accounts for 82 – 71% of the financing for HIV related programming and interventions. While the review identified some progress in contributions… View ArticleRead more »
In Kenya, the National AIDS and STI Control Program (NASCOP) with the help of the USAID Applying Science to Strengthen and Improve Systems (ASSIST) launched the Partnership for HIV Free Survival (PHFS) initiative in 2013. Its purpose was to apply quality improvement (QI) to run the national elimination of mother to child transmission of HIV… View ArticleRead more »
Through the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, the U.S. is the largest bilateral donor to the global HIV/AIDS response. The strategy put forth in this document aims to achieve control of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in 10 high-burdened countries by the end of 2020 through a particular focus on 13 priority high-burdened countries. While… View ArticleRead more »