A GLOBAL HUB
ON CHILDREN AND HIV
Our mission is to improve the lives of orphans and vulnerable
children through connecting the global community and providing
the most up-to-date information on HIV and other adversities.
Megan Collins for CRS
AREAS OF FOCUS
- CAPACITY BUILDING & SYSTEM STRENGTHENINGSystem strengthening includes building capacity of families, communities, civil society organizations and governments to provide social services, case management and referrals.
- CHILD PROTECTIONChild protection prevents and responds to abuse, exploitation and neglect, and family separation to ensure that children are cared for in a loving and supportive environment.
- ECONOMIC STRENGTHENINGEconomic strengthening interventions protect and strengthen the economic situation of households and empowers families to provide for the essential needs of their children.
- EDUCATIONEducation ensures children have access to a continuum of early childhood development opportunities, quality schools and life skills training to secure their future.
- HEALTH & NUTRITIONHealth and nutrition interventions for vulnerable children should provide a continuum of care that prevents and treats illness and promotes wellbeing for children and their families.
- PROGRAMMINGProgramming for vulnerable children includes general guidance on implementation, monitoring and evaluation and assuring quality services.
- PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORTPsychosocial support provides children and families with resources that build internal resilience for emotional, social, mental and spiritual wellbeing.
- SPECIAL POPULATIONSSpecial populations of children require additional support with individualized approaches for protection and inclusion.
This study replicated research which was published in The Lancet in 2012: Effect of a cash transfer programme for schooling on prevalence of HIV and herpes simplex type 2 in Malawi: a cluster randomised trial. The replication included three objectives: perform a pure replication, a measurement and estimation analysis (MEA) and a theory of change… View ArticleRead more »
Social service systems for vulnerable children and families in low- and middle-income countries: Establishing deﬁnitions and key componentsJanuary 8, 2018
This study reviews existing literature on the definitions and components of social service systems and provides an analysis of data from key informants in the field of global social welfare. The purpose of the study was to propose system definitions and components which could help to move the field of global social welfare forward.Read more »
Adolescents, young people, and the 90–90–90 goals: a call to improve HIV testing and linkage to treatmentDecember 29, 2017
Recent studies reveal significant gaps in the HIV clinical cascade among young people as the global community pursues the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV and AIDS 90–90–90 targets. This AIDS supplement was commissioned with the goal of informing program planners, researchers, policymakers, and funding agencies about the development and design of effective adolescent and… View ArticleRead more »
The past decade has witnessed tremendous global progress in reducing mother-to-child transmission of HIV (MTCT), the leading cause of HIV infection in children. Effective interventions exist to virtually eliminate MTCT during pregnancy, labor, delivery, and breastfeeding (UNICEF 2016). Yet, MTCT remains a challenge; the majority of the estimated 150,000 new HIV infections in children in… View ArticleRead more »