A GLOBAL HUB
ON CHILDREN AND HIV
Our mission is to improve the lives of orphans and vulnerable
children through connecting the global community and providing
the most up-to-date information on HIV and other adversities.
Megan Collins for CRS
AREAS OF FOCUS
- CAPACITY BUILDING & SYSTEM STRENGTHENINGSystem strengthening includes building capacity of families, communities, civil society organizations and governments to provide social services, case management and referrals.
- CHILD PROTECTIONChild protection prevents and responds to abuse, exploitation and neglect, and family separation to ensure that children are cared for in a loving and supportive environment.
- ECONOMIC STRENGTHENINGEconomic strengthening interventions protect and strengthen the economic situation of households and empowers families to provide for the essential needs of their children.
- EDUCATIONEducation ensures children have access to a continuum of early childhood development opportunities, quality schools and life skills training to secure their future.
- HEALTH & NUTRITIONHealth and nutrition interventions for vulnerable children should provide a continuum of care that prevents and treats illness and promotes wellbeing for children and their families.
- PROGRAMMINGProgramming for vulnerable children includes general guidance on implementation, monitoring and evaluation and assuring quality services.
- PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORTPsychosocial support provides children and families with resources that build internal resilience for emotional, social, mental and spiritual wellbeing.
- SPECIAL POPULATIONSSpecial populations of children require additional support with individualized approaches for protection and inclusion.
Enhancing HIV Retention and Clinical Outcomes in Tanzania through Pediatric- and Adolescent-Friendly ServicesJune 18, 2018
Early initiation of antiretroviral therapy (ART) is necessary for optimal treatment outcomes, yet research shows that most children living with HIV in resource constrained settings are late in accessing care. This study aimed to evaluate the use of pediatric- and adolescent-friendly HIV care and treatment services to improve adherence, retention, and clinical outcomes for children… View ArticleRead more »
Family Care for Children with Disabilities: Practical Guidance for Frontline Workers in Low- and Middle-Income CountriesJune 18, 2018
Globally policies and programs are improving in supporting family care for children –to prevent unnecessary family separation and to support reintegration for children who are outside of family care. A case management approach is also gaining momentum as it has been shown to improve outcomes for children and families. Yet children with disabilities are often… View ArticleRead more »
Do Orphans And Vulnerable Children Have A Future? A Critical Analysis of Community-Based Social Protection Systems in KenyaJune 14, 2018
Community based child social protection structures is one key intervention to address child protection issues. Based on a literature review of social protection structures in Kenya, this study finds a disconnect between the local and national child protection mechanisms. The study recommends that for community based child protection structures to be effective, a collaborative network and… View ArticleRead more »
Tool for Using Demographic and Health Survey Data to Estimate the Size of Orphans-and- Vulnerable-Children Groups at the National and Subnational LevelsJune 12, 2018
MEASURE Evaluation has designed Excel workbooks to assist PEPFAR orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) country programs with estimating the size of four groups of potentially vulnerable children. The percentages of potentially vulnerable children are derived from Demographic and Health Survey (DHS) data sets.Read more »
JULY 12, 2018 9:00-10:00 EDT Integrating Early Childhood Development Interventions into HIV Clinical Care Interventions The importance of ea...