A GLOBAL HUB
ON CHILDREN AND HIV
Our mission is to improve the lives of orphans and vulnerable
children through connecting the global community and providing
the most up-to-date information on HIV and other adversities.
Megan Collins for CRS
AREAS OF FOCUS
- CAPACITY BUILDING & SYSTEM STRENGTHENINGSystem strengthening includes building capacity of families, communities, civil society organizations and governments to provide social services, case management and referrals.
- CHILD PROTECTIONChild protection prevents and responds to abuse, exploitation and neglect, and family separation to ensure that children are cared for in a loving and supportive environment.
- ECONOMIC STRENGTHENINGEconomic strengthening interventions protect and strengthen the economic situation of households and empowers families to provide for the essential needs of their children.
- EDUCATIONEducation ensures children have access to a continuum of early childhood development opportunities, quality schools and life skills training to secure their future.
- HEALTH & NUTRITIONHealth and nutrition interventions for vulnerable children should provide a continuum of care that prevents and treats illness and promotes wellbeing for children and their families.
- PROGRAMMINGProgramming for vulnerable children includes general guidance on implementation, monitoring and evaluation and assuring quality services.
- PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORTPsychosocial support provides children and families with resources that build internal resilience for emotional, social, mental and spiritual wellbeing.
- SPECIAL POPULATIONSSpecial populations of children require additional support with individualized approaches for protection and inclusion.
The Relationships Between Violence in Childhood and Educational Outcomes: A Global Systemic Review and Meta-AnalysisJanuary 18, 2018
Violence in childhood is an important development challenge for many countries. This article is the first to address the association globally between violence in childhood on educational outcomes. It incorporates systematic reviews and meta-analyses and identifies 67 and 43 studies respectively from 21 countries to decipher the relationship between different forms of violence in childhood… View ArticleRead more »
Violence against children is known to have adverse health outcomes and to be a risk factor for unhealthy behavior and subsequent violence toward others. This research takes the statistics on violence against children in South Africa and models the cost of inaction. The costing exercise gives some really useful economic arguments about all forms of… View ArticleRead more »
This study replicated research which was published in The Lancet in 2012: Effect of a cash transfer programme for schooling on prevalence of HIV and herpes simplex type 2 in Malawi: a cluster randomised trial. The replication included three objectives: perform a pure replication, a measurement and estimation analysis (MEA) and a theory of change… View ArticleRead more »
Social service systems for vulnerable children and families in low- and middle-income countries: Establishing deﬁnitions and key componentsJanuary 8, 2018
This study reviews existing literature on the definitions and components of social service systems and provides an analysis of data from key informants in the field of global social welfare. The purpose of the study was to propose system definitions and components which could help to move the field of global social welfare forward.Read more »
This position provides strategic, technical and managerial leadership for the Child Protection team within the Education and Child Protection departme...