A GLOBAL HUB
ON CHILDREN AND HIV
Our mission is to improve the lives of orphans and vulnerable
children through connecting the global community and providing
the most up-to-date information on HIV and other adversities.
Megan Collins for CRS
AREAS OF FOCUS
- CAPACITY BUILDING & SYSTEM STRENGTHENINGSystem strengthening includes building capacity of families, communities, civil society organizations and governments to provide social services, case management and referrals.
- CHILD PROTECTIONChild protection prevents and responds to abuse, exploitation and neglect, and family separation to ensure that children are cared for in a loving and supportive environment.
- ECONOMIC STRENGTHENINGEconomic strengthening interventions protect and strengthen the economic situation of households and empowers families to provide for the essential needs of their children.
- EDUCATIONEducation ensures children have access to a continuum of early childhood development opportunities, quality schools and life skills training to secure their future.
- HEALTH & NUTRITIONHealth and nutrition interventions for vulnerable children should provide a continuum of care that prevents and treats illness and promotes wellbeing for children and their families.
- PROGRAMMINGProgramming for vulnerable children includes general guidance on implementation, monitoring and evaluation and assuring quality services.
- PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORTPsychosocial support provides children and families with resources that build internal resilience for emotional, social, mental and spiritual wellbeing.
- SPECIAL POPULATIONSSpecial populations of children require additional support with individualized approaches for protection and inclusion.
A new study published in BMJ Pediatrics helps us to better understand the global levels of violence against children. Researchers at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine along with UNICEF conducted a meta-analysis and systematic review. For the first time it allows researchers to configure how children may be at more or less… View ArticleRead more »
Bridging the Gaps: A Global Review of Intersections of Violence Against Women and Violence Against ChildrenFebruary 9, 2018
This article documents a narrative review of evidence on intersections between violence against children (VAC) and violence against women (VAW), including sexual violence by non-partners, with an emphasis on low and middle income countries.Read more »
Violence against children and violence against women has been recognized as a global public health and human rights problem. This document contains a summary of key information published in the article “Bridging the gaps: a global review of intersections of violence against women and violence against children”.Read more »
Integrating Violence against Children Prevention and Response Interventions within PEPFAR HIV Pediatric Testing, Care and TreatmentFebruary 2, 2018
This report presents the preliminary findings from an ongoing project undertaken by 4Children that seeks to identify key opportunities to incorporate violence prevention and response interventions within priority PEPFAR Program Areas at clinical and community levels. The initial focus is on HIV testing and services (HTS) and pediatric care and treatment – a priority identified… View ArticleRead more »