A GLOBAL HUB
ON CHILDREN AND HIV
Our mission is to improve the lives of orphans and vulnerable
children through connecting the global community and providing
the most up-to-date information on HIV and other adversities.
Megan Collins for CRS
AREAS OF FOCUS
- CAPACITY BUILDING & SYSTEM STRENGTHENINGSystem strengthening includes building capacity of families, communities, civil society organizations and governments to provide social services, case management and referrals.
- CHILD PROTECTIONChild protection prevents and responds to abuse, exploitation and neglect, and family separation to ensure that children are cared for in a loving and supportive environment.
- ECONOMIC STRENGTHENINGEconomic strengthening interventions protect and strengthen the economic situation of households and empowers families to provide for the essential needs of their children.
- EDUCATIONEducation ensures children have access to a continuum of early childhood development opportunities, quality schools and life skills training to secure their future.
- HEALTH & NUTRITIONHealth and nutrition interventions for vulnerable children should provide a continuum of care that prevents and treats illness and promotes wellbeing for children and their families.
- PROGRAMMINGProgramming for vulnerable children includes general guidance on implementation, monitoring and evaluation and assuring quality services.
- PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORTPsychosocial support provides children and families with resources that build internal resilience for emotional, social, mental and spiritual wellbeing.
- SPECIAL POPULATIONSSpecial populations of children require additional support with individualized approaches for protection and inclusion.
Do Orphans And Vulnerable Children Have A Future? A Critical Analysis of Community-Based Social Protection Systems in KenyaJune 14, 2018
Community based child social protection structures is one key intervention to address child protection issues. Based on a literature review of social protection structures in Kenya, this study finds a disconnect between the local and national child protection mechanisms. The study recommends that for community based child protection structures to be effective, a collaborative network and… View ArticleRead more »
Tool for Using Demographic and Health Survey Data to Estimate the Size of Orphans-and- Vulnerable-Children Groups at the National and Subnational LevelsJune 12, 2018
MEASURE Evaluation has designed Excel workbooks to assist PEPFAR orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) country programs with estimating the size of four groups of potentially vulnerable children. The percentages of potentially vulnerable children are derived from Demographic and Health Survey (DHS) data sets.Read more »
A team from Duke University is training lay people to provide trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy through schools and community health centers under the guidance of lay supervisors. This pilot project in Bungoma, Kenya aims to develop a blueprint for developing a program that could be developed at scale for addressing the trauma and increasing resilience… View ArticleRead more »
Violence against children is a problem that is so big and has remained hidden for so long that the only way to effectively address it is to break it down into actionable steps. World Vision has been focused on preventing and responding to violence through a community engagement model which mobilizes evidence-based interventions such as… View ArticleRead more »
Pre-conference to the International AIDS Conference 2018 Adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) are at the forefront of the HIV epidemic. Due to a...