A GLOBAL HUB
ON CHILDREN AND HIV
Our mission is to improve the lives of orphans and vulnerable
children through connecting the global community and providing
the most up-to-date information on HIV and other adversities.
Megan Collins for CRS
AREAS OF FOCUS
- CAPACITY BUILDING & SYSTEM STRENGTHENINGSystem strengthening includes building capacity of families, communities, civil society organizations and governments to provide social services, case management and referrals.
- CHILD PROTECTIONChild protection prevents and responds to abuse, exploitation and neglect, and family separation to ensure that children are cared for in a loving and supportive environment.
- ECONOMIC STRENGTHENINGEconomic strengthening interventions protect and strengthen the economic situation of households and empowers families to provide for the essential needs of their children.
- EDUCATIONEducation ensures children have access to a continuum of early childhood development opportunities, quality schools and life skills training to secure their future.
- HEALTH & NUTRITIONHealth and nutrition interventions for vulnerable children should provide a continuum of care that prevents and treats illness and promotes wellbeing for children and their families.
- PROGRAMMINGProgramming for vulnerable children includes general guidance on implementation, monitoring and evaluation and assuring quality services.
- PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORTPsychosocial support provides children and families with resources that build internal resilience for emotional, social, mental and spiritual wellbeing.
- SPECIAL POPULATIONSSpecial populations of children require additional support with individualized approaches for protection and inclusion.
Prevalence of disability in HIV-infected children attending an urban paediatric HIV clinic in Johannesburg, South AfricaFebruary 13, 2019
Children vertically infected with HIV have been shown to have developmental difficulties and disabilities. This study aimed to investigate the prevalence of disabilities among a group of HIV infected children in South Africa and whether they are being referred to and accessing support services. Of the 200 children whose parents were interviewed, 50.5% experienced disabilities,… View ArticleRead more »
Supporting community-led action requires a different skill set than needed for top-down approaches. The tools are designed to help begin the process of acquiring these skills. The Toolkit consists of four sections, for each of the four major skill sets involved: facilitating, training, learning, and management. This online version of the guidelines and toolkit was… View ArticleRead more »
This website is a full communications toolkit designed to advocate and build public support for early childhood development policies and programs in Kenya. The site includes deeper research and learning framing recommendations communication tools While created for Kenya, the communication videos and tools offer creative ideas for other context’s to adapt.Read more »
This toolkit was designed to give general guidance to health care workers in disclosure of HIV status with pediatric and adolescent populations. The document contains tools to build the capacities of health care staff, caregivers, and pediatric/adolescent partners themselves, to deliver successful and informed disclosure. Job aids include guidance and checklists for a variety of audiences… View ArticleRead more »
ICRW is taking part in a number of events this month at the 62nd session of the Commission on the Status of Women(CSW62). From March 12th – 23rd, R...