A GLOBAL HUB
ON CHILDREN AND HIV
Our mission is to improve the lives of orphans and vulnerable
children through connecting the global community and providing
the most up-to-date information on HIV and other adversities.
Megan Collins for CRS
AREAS OF FOCUS
- CAPACITY BUILDING & SYSTEM STRENGTHENINGSystem strengthening includes building capacity of families, communities, civil society organizations and governments to provide social services, case management and referrals.
- CHILD PROTECTIONChild protection prevents and responds to abuse, exploitation and neglect, and family separation to ensure that children are cared for in a loving and supportive environment.
- ECONOMIC STRENGTHENINGEconomic strengthening interventions protect and strengthen the economic situation of households and empowers families to provide for the essential needs of their children.
- EDUCATIONEducation ensures children have access to a continuum of early childhood development opportunities, quality schools and life skills training to secure their future.
- HEALTH & NUTRITIONHealth and nutrition interventions for vulnerable children should provide a continuum of care that prevents and treats illness and promotes wellbeing for children and their families.
- PROGRAMMINGProgramming for vulnerable children includes general guidance on implementation, monitoring and evaluation and assuring quality services.
- PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORTPsychosocial support provides children and families with resources that build internal resilience for emotional, social, mental and spiritual wellbeing.
- SPECIAL POPULATIONSSpecial populations of children require additional support with individualized approaches for protection and inclusion.
The time is now: Closing the Pediatric Treatment Gap and Building Resilience among Female Sex Workers and their ChildrenSeptember 21, 2018
This field note published in AIDS 2018 addresses the needs of female sex workers and their children. It advocates for programs to develop and scale up comprehensive and integrated, stigma-free services for this vulnerable population.Read more »
In conjunction with the release of guidance on Addressing the Children of Key Populations a webinar was held to give an overview of the new guidance, give examples of working models in three countries and discuss gaps through a West and Central Africa data review. The slide deck is viewable by clicking the “Preview” button.Read more »
This guidance highlights key considerations for the design of effective treatment, care and support models targeting female sex workers and their children. It includes current working models from six countries and provides recommendations for monitoring and evaluation in key population programming.Read more »