A GLOBAL HUB
ON CHILDREN AND HIV
Our mission is to improve the lives of orphans and vulnerable
children through connecting the global community and providing
the most up-to-date information on HIV and other adversities.
Megan Collins for CRS
AREAS OF FOCUS
- CAPACITY BUILDING & SYSTEM STRENGTHENINGSystem strengthening includes building capacity of families, communities, civil society organizations and governments to provide social services, case management and referrals.
- CHILD PROTECTIONChild protection prevents and responds to abuse, exploitation and neglect, and family separation to ensure that children are cared for in a loving and supportive environment.
- ECONOMIC STRENGTHENINGEconomic strengthening interventions protect and strengthen the economic situation of households and empowers families to provide for the essential needs of their children.
- EDUCATIONEducation ensures children have access to a continuum of early childhood development opportunities, quality schools and life skills training to secure their future.
- HEALTH & NUTRITIONHealth and nutrition interventions for vulnerable children should provide a continuum of care that prevents and treats illness and promotes wellbeing for children and their families.
- PROGRAMMINGProgramming for vulnerable children includes general guidance on implementation, monitoring and evaluation and assuring quality services.
- PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORTPsychosocial support provides children and families with resources that build internal resilience for emotional, social, mental and spiritual wellbeing.
- SPECIAL POPULATIONSSpecial populations of children require additional support with individualized approaches for protection and inclusion.
The Oxford Research Center just released a new policy brief on the randomized control trial results of the Parenting for Lifelong Health (“Sinovuyo”) program for caregivers of adolescents. This brief describes the policy issue, intervention, methods and results.Read more »
Children’s Consent Framework: Policy and Practice for Maturity-Aligned Engagement of Children in Decisions about HIV-Related Medical and Social Services and Management of Confidential InformationOctober 10, 2018
Many policies and guidelines for HIV prevention, testing, treatment, and care, as well as management of confidential HIV data, do not adequately address the unique needs of children. While there is no formula for when a child is capable to take full responsibility for decisions on HIV-related care and social support services, or when a… View ArticleRead more »
Over the past 25 years, development organizations have mobilized more than 700,000 savings groups in marginalized communities across 75 countries worldwide. Recent evidence, however, shows mixed results as to the effectiveness of savings group programs in targeting and reaching the most vulnerable populations. This state of practice report provides a comprehensive overview of the inclusion… View ArticleRead more »
From June 2013 to June 2018, the Inuka Community based OVC project (ICOP)–funded by USAID and successfully implemented by Ananda Marga Universal Relief Team (AMURT)– aimed at expanding service coverage and improving the overall well-being of 11,000 OVC in Bondo and Rarieda Sub-counties of Siaya County. Key lessons learned from the project include: Early communication and preparation… View ArticleRead more »