A GLOBAL HUB
ON CHILDREN AND HIV
Our mission is to improve the lives of orphans and vulnerable
children through connecting the global community and providing
the most up-to-date information on HIV and other adversities.
Megan Collins for CRS
AREAS OF FOCUS
- CAPACITY BUILDING & SYSTEM STRENGTHENINGSystem strengthening includes building capacity of families, communities, civil society organizations and governments to provide social services, case management and referrals.
- CHILD PROTECTIONChild protection prevents and responds to abuse, exploitation and neglect, and family separation to ensure that children are cared for in a loving and supportive environment.
- ECONOMIC STRENGTHENINGEconomic strengthening interventions protect and strengthen the economic situation of households and empowers families to provide for the essential needs of their children.
- EDUCATIONEducation ensures children have access to a continuum of early childhood development opportunities, quality schools and life skills training to secure their future.
- HEALTH & NUTRITIONHealth and nutrition interventions for vulnerable children should provide a continuum of care that prevents and treats illness and promotes wellbeing for children and their families.
- PROGRAMMINGProgramming for vulnerable children includes general guidance on implementation, monitoring and evaluation and assuring quality services.
- PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORTPsychosocial support provides children and families with resources that build internal resilience for emotional, social, mental and spiritual wellbeing.
- SPECIAL POPULATIONSSpecial populations of children require additional support with individualized approaches for protection and inclusion.
Para Professionals in the Social Service Workforce: Guiding Principles, Functions and Competencies – 2nd EditionFebruary 21, 2017
This publication is intended for managers and para professionals in social work who are developing programs, job descriptions, training and supervision needs. This edition builds on the first edition, released in September 2015, by including competencies for two new sets of workers – Para Professional Social Workers (PSWs) and Para Professional Community Development Workers – and… View ArticleRead more »
Thailand is the first country to achieve the World Health Organization’s (WHO) targets for the elimination of mother-to-child transmission. One lesson learned points to the importance of an effective monitoring system in bringing about a massive, multi-sectoral response. All sectors of Thai society had shared commitment, decision-making, resources and efforts. This article reviews the science… View ArticleRead more »
OVCimpact.org is a Community of Practice created by the MEASURE Evaluation Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) team to encourage learning on the implementation of the OVC survey toolkit and the collection of the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Reporting (MER) Essential Survey Indicators. OVCimpact.org hosts resources and webinars and aims to increase dialogue between implementing partners and… View ArticleRead more »
While knowledge about AIDS and access to treatment have increased, this qualitative research from western Kenya suggests that stigma remains high. Participants have faced inaccurate and negative attitudes about how they got the disease and experienced negative social and economic consequences as well as internalized negative feelings about themselves. Treatment related impacts of stigma included… View ArticleRead more »